Friday, July 16, 2010

HAUSU releases in Region 1 this October from Criterion

Thank God. Details are here. The most exciting inclusion is a 1966 Obayashi short (40 min), called EMOTION, which involves schoolgirls and city life and vampires and other such Obayashi batshit craziness. The least exciting is a video appreciation by Ti West, though I suppose I shouldn't speak prematurely. Conspicuously absent are the Obayashi/Bronson Mandom commercials. I don't know if it's because Mandom refuses to license 'em or if Criterion didn't deem them a worthy supplement, but either way, we lose. But I don't know why I'm complaining– I urge everyone to check it out who didn't catch it in its theatrical run or on Region 2 already, as it's one of my all-time favorites.

You can read my original review HERE.

No comments: